Director/Senior Director, Protein Engineering (GB20-257)
Catalyst Biosciences (Catalyst, CBIO) is seeking a creative, experienced, and highly collaborative Director/Senior Director, Protein Engineering to join its growing biotherapeutics team at its South San Francisco headquarters. The position reports directly to the SVP, Translational Research, and offers a highly visible opportunity to make an impact and significantly contribute to a fast-growing company. The candidate will be expected to lead a protein engineering team and develop new technologies that move pipeline projects forward and further develop the Company’s protease engineering platform. This role provides the opportunity to work closely with internal and external collaborators across a broad range of disciplines from the earliest drug discovery activities to participating in IND-enabling activities in order to deliver first-in-class as well as best-in-class molecules in the complement and rare disease space.
ABOUT CATALYST BIOSCIENCES
Catalyst is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing novel medicines to address important unmet medical needs in patients with rare bleeding and complement related disorders. Catalyst currently has compounds in discovery and development phases that span the value chain from the early discovery stage to late stage clinical trials with the intent of commercialization. We expect you to bring an innovative mindset, scientific curiosity, a lot of energy, and pragmatism.
- Provide scientific leadership, strategic, and technical guidance to build a robust portfolio of therapeutic proteases
- Define therapeutic problems driving innovation to solve them including conceiving, planning, and designing discovery strategies
- Deep knowledge and hands on experience with peptides, state of the art protein engineering concepts, biophysics, structural biology and molecular biology.
- Demonstrated experience with engineering differentiated lead molecules including but not limited to enzymes, antibodies, multispecifics and proteins.
- Responsible for developing new technologies and expanding the protease engineering platform to stay at the cutting edge of biologics discovery
- Drive multiple projects while solving complex problems simultaneously to deliver results within established timelines that meet company goals
- Lead the high performing protein engineering team and mentor/coach other team members when required while providing strategic oversight
- Ensure thorough documentation, write complex reports and present at team meetings and in front of senior management
- Assist business development in assessing in and out-licensing opportunities
- Contribute to patent filings and publications and present research findings at relevant industry and medical conferences
- Ph.D. and postdoctoral work in Biochemistry, Immunology, Molecular & Cell Biology or similar fields with 5 or more years of experience post Ph.D.
- Sustained record of productivity and substantive scientific contributions as evidenced by high-impact publications, patent inventorship, and/or external presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively with other scientists on cross-functional projects teams
- Motivated, scientifically driven individual with a creative approach to complex biochemical problem solving
- Highly collaborative team player, open to giving and receiving ideas with excellent communication skills
- Ability to think strategically, adaptability, enthusiasm for new challenges with desire to focus on efficiency
- Must be self-motivated with a positive “can do” attitude and ability to wear multiple hats
- Demonstrated success in overseeing and leading or co-leading projects from discovery to the clinic development
- Extensive experience in engineering and characterization of protein and antibody variants as clinical leads including de-risking immunogenicity
- A sound knowledgebase in molecular biology, protein expression, and purification
- Background in complement and rare orphan diseases is a plus
Thank you for your interest in Catalyst Biosciences! You may apply for this position by sending your CV/resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing requisition number GB20-257 in the subject line.