Catalyst Biosciences is seeking an exceptional Controller to lead and manage its accounting / finance operations. Reporting to the VP Finance and CFO, this is an opportunity to contribute significantly to a rapidly evolving, publicly traded biotechnology company.
As a key member of the Finance leadership team, this person will be responsible for all aspects of the accounting close process, payroll, equity, financial statement production and SEC reporting. The Controller will work closely with the company’s outside auditor and the internal audit team to refine and support an effective environment of financial reporting and controls.
The individual in this role will have the chance to apply their superb operational capabilities and bias for action to manage and execute the entire range of activities that support the success of Catalyst’s financial functions, while also leveraging their strategic leadership experience to continue establishing this function within our growing organization. The ideal candidate is a driven individual excited by the opportunity to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, biotech start-up like environment, and to leverage their high degree of problem-solving and troubleshooting skills to make a large impact on Catalysts mission addressing unmet medical needs.
ABOUT CATALYST BIOSCIENCES
Catalyst is a research and clinical development biopharmaceutical company focused on addressing unmet medical needs in disorders of the complement and coagulation systems. Our protease engineering platform includes two late-stage clinical programs in hemophilia; a research program on engineering of subcutaneous (SQ) complement inhibitors; and a partnered preclinical development program with Biogen for dry age-related macular degeneration (“AMD”). The product candidates generated by our protease engineering platform have improved functionality and potency that allow for: SQ administration of recombinant coagulation factors and complement inhibitors; low-dose, high activity gene therapy constructs; and less frequently dosed intravitreal therapeutics. For more information, please visit www.catalystbiosciences.com.
- Lead the accounting operations of the company including maintaining an adequate system of accounting records/policies, technical accounting oversight and a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk and enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results and ensuring 404(b) compliance.
- Ensure that the company’s accounting procedures and reported results conform to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Lead the preparation of SEC filings including 10-K, 10-Q, proxy and 8-Ks.
- Oversee purchasing to payables process and provide sound financial guidance to company personnel on procurement decisions and contract negotiations.
- Oversee payroll, 401-k, equity, and benefits processes.
- Manage the company’s tax reporting and filing requirements.
- Manage the company’s cash-flow, including bank accounts and investments.
- Interface with financial institutions, external auditors, service providers and advisors
- Manage, mentor, and develop a high performing, professional team.
- Lead the relationship with our independent auditors; manage the annual audit and quarterly review process.
- Review all material agreements and provide input as needed.
- Lead process improvement initiatives for continued enhancement of ERP (NetSuite).
**Title and level to commensurate with education and experience.
- 15+ years of experience in positions of increasing responsibility (biotech industry preferred).
- Collaborative business partner adept in building cross-functional relationships to drive business results and process improvement.
- Ability to produce quality results in an efficient manner within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Bachelors or master’s degree in accounting with current CPA license desired.
- Big 4 Public Accounting, SEC reporting, and US GAAP experience.
- An independent problem-solver with strong work ethics and intellectual curiosity will thrive.
- Attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication are essential in this collaborative work environment.
- Requires strong leadership and diplomacy skills to guide teams and facilitate collaboration.
- Must have excellent organizational skills, the ability to prioritize projects, and superior attention to detail.
- Experience with integrated systems including financial reporting, general ledger, purchasing, payables management (NetSuite ERP a plus).
- Experience with assessing, designing, and implementing internal controls over financial reporting.
- NetSuite ERP; Shareworks, ADP, RRD ActiveDisclosure(or Workiva), AuditBoard, and MS Office 365
Thank you for your interest in Catalyst Biosciences! You may apply for this position by sending your CV/resume to email@example.com, referencing requisition number (FS21-257) in the subject line.